Welcome to my blog!
This started as a Facebook page for the Hogwarts castle I was building in LEGO – Blockwarts seemed like a good name. It got well received but I noted there seemed to be just as much interest in general LEGO related Harry Potter information, hence I changed to scope to focus on the intersection of the two topics together (noting there are plenty of blogs covering the topics independently). As part of the transition, I decided to make it a real website blog too.
History leading up to the creation of Blockwarts
- My Dark age ended just around the time the first era of Harry Potter sets came to an end (around 2010-11).
- At that time my oldest daughter was very much into Harry Potter and we collected most of the last series sets.
- In 2013, by expanding on the sets, I built a Hogwarts castle for display at a LEGO Expo. I felt it was big back then – covering about 18 baseplates. It was shown twice (in 2013 and 2014) and then packed away for years.
- Late 2017 I decided to do a Hogwarts display again. I dusted it off (very much required after years of neglect) and made plans to enlarge it. I got carried away, and realising I couldn’t possible do it all myself, I teamed up with my good friend Russell, and combined we and ended up with a 96 baseplate display! The feedback from visitors when shown was amazing.
Recognised LEGO Fan Media site
After two years of existence, Blockwarts became a Recognised LEGO Fan Media (RLFM) site in July 2020.
RLFM is a relatively new program offered by LEGO to support sites that contribute to the LEGO fan community. These come in all sizes (Brickset and Brothers Brick are among the largest, with Blockwarts being in the very small category). Being an RLFM has great benefits including:
- Direct communication with LEGO and other recognised LEGO clubs/sites.
- Occasionally early access to sets for reviews and information.
- Participation in LEGO working groups ran by LEGO’s Community Engagement team.
As seen, Blockwarts will occasionally get sets for review, but the views/opinions raised in the reviews will remain my own.