Yesterday, LEGO and Wizarding World (the official Harry Potter page) teased the upcoming LEGO Harry Potter sets, revealing six golden figures that will be included in the sets. The figures mark the 20th anniversary of LEGO Harry Potter, similar to the golden Ninjago figures used to mark the 10 year anniversary of this theme. Here are my thoughts…
Photos of the six golden Harry Potter series minifigures have been filling my feed on Facebook today. Here’s what they look like:
The appearance of this is great news – both as I really like the figures, but it also suggests the official reveal of the upcoming sets must be pretty soon.
Celebrating anniversary of LEGO themes
LEGO has previously been celebrating the anniversary of key selling themes. A couple of examples are shown below.
To coincide with the 20th anniversary of LEGO Star Wars in 2019, LEGO released a number of sets, including five sets that were updated versions of classic star wars sets. Each came with minifigure on an printed anniversary stand.
LEGO also released three micro-scale anniversary sets, all gift-with-purchase (GWP), covering the Battle of Hoth, the Battle of Endor and the Death Star II Battle.
For the 10th anniversary of Ninjago, in early 2021 LEGO released four sets in the Legacy series, each of which included a golden figure (three of which shown below) on a stand. These sets give us Kai, Lloyd, Jay and Cole, but leaves out Zane and Nya, at least for now. Maybe a later drop (second half of 2021) will include those two characters?
Another key figure, Sensei Wu, was also excluded in the initial release. But the recent D2C (direct to consumers) exclusive set Ninjago City Gardens (Set 71741) includes a special 10th anniversary golden Sensei Wu with the same small display stand as the other 10th anniversary ninjas.
20 years of LEGO Harry Potter
The photos shared by LEGO and Wizarding world shows us golden minifigures of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Lord Voldemort, Professor Snape and Professor Quirrell.
So what does the revealed six minifigures tell us about the 20 years of LEGO Harry Potter anniversary sets?
Obviously, it tells us the number of the sets released in this series, noting that there may be additional LEGO Harry Potter sets released this year too that doesn’t have the anniversary branding. I know rumours of the sets are being shared, but I won’t spoil the surprise for any.
It does leave a number of questions though.
- Will we get proper stands for the minifigures, as we saw for Star Wars and Ninjago anniversaries – or just the golden 3×4 minifigure plates shown on the photos?
- Will the sets be updated “classic” sets, new sets in “classic” style, or simply brand new sets?
- It is noted that the figures matches well the Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone book. Will this be a one-off, or will there be future “anniversary sets” released covering later books?
- While the figures are a good match for the first book, a key omission is Professor Dumbledore? May we see a larger D2C set revealed later that will include him, as the Ninjago City Garden’s set included Sensei Wu?
- Will there also be other styles of anniversary sets released, like the micro-scale GWP sets we saw for Star Wars?
Blockwarts will of course give you information about the new sets as soon as officially available. Stay tuned – we hopefully don’t have to wait long!
Till then, Build the Magic!
2 thoughts on “Golden 20th anniversary of LEGO Harry Potter minifigures revealed”
I hope there will be another stand than pure golden plates. Dumbledore and McGonagall are missing! 😦
Quirrel is definitely book 1, but “reborn” Voldemort is book 4+.