There has been plenty of rumours recently of an upcoming Harry Potter Collective Minifigure (CMF) Series 2 to be released in 2020. It will probably be a while before this can be confirmed, but here’s a look at what figures such a series could include.
Is a Harry Potter CMF series 2 likely?
Considering, there are some key persons missing from the four first movies/books (which were to be covered by the 2018 and 2019 sets), it is likely that these have been intended for a second CMF series (or future advent calendars).
But overall, it seems consistent with the Disney CMF series where series 1 and 2 had a gap year in between.
So without discussing the validity of the rumours, from past experience it seems highly probable that a CMF Series 2 will supplement the expected 2020 Harry Potter sets.
What could it include?
The 2018 series included 22 different figures, including four from Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. For simplicity, I’ve below selected 22 figures – all from the Harry Potter universe (though a younger Dumbledore and Nagini in human form would be interesting additions from a Fantastic Beasts perspective).
Without further ado, here’s my wish list along with my reasoning.
- Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. I can’t see a CMF series 2 without these figures. This could be them in the later books, but here I’ll suggest them as in Task 2 of the Tri-wizard tournament with Harry in his swimgear and gills and Hermione and Ron in normal Gryffindor attire, but with dual faceprints, one side showing them in the magical sleep underwater.
- Draco Malfoy, Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe. This should ideally be in their long Slytherin robes, similar to the Gryffindor robes Harry, Ron and Hermione had in the CMF Series 1. Both Goyle and Crabbe are important characters throughout the books and should be available as minifigures (Crabbe has only appeared back in 2002 in the yellow face era, while Goyle also featured in the Hogwarts set (4867) from 2011.
- Fred and George Weasley. Extremely rare, with the only previous appearance in the exclusive 2011 Diagon Alley set (10217). It would be nice with these in either Gryffindor robes – or in Quidditch uniforms. These are so important in the story that they simply have to be released again, either in a set or as CMF. My guess is as CMF.
- Percy Weasley. Never made it as figure – but is reasonably important across many of the books and would thus be a nice addition. I’d prefer him to be in spotless Gryffindor robes with his shiny prefect badge.
- Ginny Weasley. The youngest of the Weasley kids. This is a hard to get figure that only exists in two versions (one being yellow faced). This should reflect her in the Chamber of Secret, with sleeping expression as alternate face print from the final scene of that book.
- Padma and Parvati Patil. The Patil twins are some of the more well known Hogwarts students and could be worth making into minifigures. Padma was in Ravenclaw and Parvati in Gryffindor in the books, though the movies had them both in Gryffindor. They could either be shown in their uniforms with skirts (as Cho Chang in the CMF Series 1), but preferably in their formal dresses from the Yule Ball, adding to the collection of Yule Ball figures we got in the Hogwarts Clocktower set (75948).
- Moaning Myrtle. I can’t believe we are still waiting for a Moaning Myrtle figure – bring it on! A key person in the Chamber of Secret, but she would also go well with the Prefects Bathroom we got with the Hogwarts Clocktower set (75948).
- Professor Lockhart. Obvious candidate – being hard to get with only two previous minifigure versions (both with yellow face) in existence. Could come with a comb and mirror, or with a Magical Me book ready to sign – or how about with a Cornish Pixie, ready to release terror in his Defence against the Dark Arts class. I would collect an army of them!
- Madam Pomfrey. I keep mentioning the Hogwarts Clocktower set (75948). But this is a great set in many ways (review to come soon) and included a hospital floor with two beds, but no Madam Pomfrey. Can we please get her along with a bottle of Skele-Gro? That would be her very first entry as physical minifigure.
- Dudley, Vernon and Petunia Dursley. The Dursley family is an important (though not pleasant) part of Harry’s life and getting the family would open up for many interesting scenes at 4 Privet Drive. Only Dudley and Vernon has previously been released as minifigures, both from the yellow face era.
- Rita Skeeter. The special reporter for the Daily Prophet is another important figure that has yet to appear as minifigure. Should come with a piece of parchment and her Quick-Quotes Quill.
- Kingsley Shacklebolt and Nymphadora Tonks. Both played important roles in the later books, for example in the Battle of the Seven Potters. Both have yet to appear as minifigures.
- Merpeople. When I wrote up my story about the Merpeople, I pointed out it would be great to see these making a return, only being available in one previous LEGO set, the Rescue from the Merpeople (set 4762) from 2005.
That’s my list of 22 minifigures. There were many other strong candidates, like Arthur and Molly Weasley, Lavender Brown and Professor Binns. Looking forward to see if we indeed get a series 2 next year and what it will included. To a large extent it will depend on the sets released, which probably will include a number of the figures above, leaving room for others on the list.
Time will tell.
Till then, Build the Magic!