While the second wave of 2019 sets are still to hit the shelves, discussions about 2020 possible LEGO Harry Potter sets have already started. Early rumours last year were very inaccurate, so rather than talk about rumours, I here provide what sets I’d like to see and why. Are your favourites among them?
Apart from Lego’s permanent lineup, which include City, Star wars and Ninjago, major themes are typically limited to three years (like Nexo Knights and Chima), being replaced by new fresh themes after that (and occasionally reappearing after a few years of hibernation).
With the 2018 and 2019 sets covering the first four books/movies, and by all accounts reasonable sales of these sets, we should expect more Harry Potter sets to return in 2020. Assuming a three year cycle, this would have to cover the remaining three books (four movies).
This year we have got two waves of respectively five and two sets. I’d expect something similar next year, but have limited the list to six sets below.
My wish list
The list here is not based on any rumours, but is what I’d be really keen to see and what probably would appeal to a wider market. It include a mix of scenes across the last three books covering different price points, and has some Hogwarts sets that can be connected up with the Hogwarts sets released in 2018/19.
- Umbridge’s capture – Small set with Dolores Umbridge being carried off by one or two centaurs as in the Order of the Phoenix. A small set with a new centaur mould would be extremely popular, not just among Harry Potter fans, but anyone building fantasy as well. And who wouldn’t love to see Umbridge being taken away!
- Hogwarts: Armour gallery – small to medium sized set with a corridor with suits of armour (connectable with other Hogwarts sets from 2018/19). To includes 1-2 dementor as well as Professor McGonagall along with two suits of armour she can animate to help fight the Dark Lord’s forces. Let the battle begin!
- Battle of the Department of Mysteries – small to medium sized set, set in the Ministry of Magic, where Harry and fellow Dumbledore’s Army members fought a group of Death Eaters. It could in addition to Harry include Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood facing Bellatrix Lestrange and Lucius Malfoy. These characters are quite rare in LEGO and would be nice additions.
- The Battle of the Seven Potters – medium sized set covering what also was know as the Battle Over Little Whinging. The Order of the Phoenix has arrived to bring Harry to safety from Privet Drive. It could include Privet Drive 4 house facade, motorcycle with sidecar, thestral, and apart from Harry and Hagrid, also key characters such as Nymphadora Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt not currently available as minifigures.
- Hogsmeade – Medium to large sized set including two of Hogsmeade’s iconic buildings: The Three Broomsticks and Honeydukes Sweetshop. Maybe a train station platform too (useful for any who has purchased the Hogwarts express set). As for Minifigures, it could have Harry, Ron and Hermoine as well as Cho Chang (who went to Hogsmeade on her first and only date with Harry, though that was at Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop), Madam Rosmerta (innkeeper) and Rita Skeeter (who often visited The Three Broomsticks).
- The Burrow – Medium to large sized set featuring the Burrow. I’d expect it to be quite similar to the 2010 version (set 4840), but given how iconic it is, it is very likely to be among any sets released. In the Half Blood Prince movie adoption, the Death Eaters launch an attack on the Burrow on Christmas Day and it’s burnt down. The set should include key members of the Weasley family and either visiting Order of Phoenix members or attacking Death Eaters. Given the Clocktower seemed to balance the offering to cater just as much to girls, the wedding of Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour could be a good occasion for the set to represent.
- Hogwarts: Room of requirement – Large set including the Room of Requirement (both as training for Dumbledore’s Army – but also for storage, with a vanishing cabinet), Professor Umbridge’s office, the Astronomy tower, Slytherin common room, and potential the bridge across the river (all connectable with other Hogwarts sets from 2018/19). To include key members of Dumbledore’s Army (persons like Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil would be good additions), Professor Umbridge, Draco Malfoy, Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe.
Any key scenes missing that would be good LEGO sets? Freeing the dragon under Gringott’s bank? The black lake in the cave and the search for Salazar Slytherin’s locket?
And how many of my wishlist sets will end up being released in some form or another? Time will tell.
Till then, Build the Magic!