A nice surprise to wake up to was the reveal of the first 2022 LEGO Harry Potter set on LEGO’s website. The Hogwarts Magical Trunk set is colourful and while to some extent similar to the buildable books we got in January 2021, this is much more customisable. Here is what we know…
Set 76399 – 603 pieces
US$59.99, £54.99, €59.99, CA$79.99, AU$89.99
Coming 1 March 2022, Hogwarts Magical Trunk is a quite different set. It will look well as display item, along with other recent sets such as Fawkes and Hogwarts Icons. It is highly customisable with the ability to make the trunk match your personal Hogwarts house, and with a sticker sheet to help decorate it. It also a playset though – somewhat similar to Newt Scamander’s Suitecase from 2019, and the buildable Hogwarts Moments books we got in January 2021.
Here is what the box of the new set looks like. First the front:
We see six figures are included. First of all, the excellent version of Professor McGonagall we got in the Hogwarts Moments – Transfiguration Class set. We will also get torsos to create students with scarfs/colours representing all four Hogwarts houses. Finally, we get a neutral figure – yet to be sorted into his/her house. Also note the grey owl with the spread-out wings – the first appearance of that owl mould in that colour.
And then the back:
As seen, it can be used to recreate three different rooms (plus wherever your imagination takes you). Here are some close up photos of the rooms.
Also, as shown here, pieces are included so the trunk can be customised to appears in any of the four house colour:
Finally, diversity and inclusion has been promoted strongly by LEGO recently, and this can be seen in this set as well. The set includes a number of different coloured headpieces, with and without glasses, and hairs in many different colours too – including blue and pink. As result, this is a great set to build figures representing different ethnicities, genders, etc and thus creating generic students – rather than just getting more versions of “the usual suspects”, though it appears you can build Harry Potter, Hermione and Draco at least from the various minifigure pieces included.
Official product information
Here’s what LEGO writes on the product page:
Personalized and portable, the LEGO® Harry Potter™ Hogwarts™ Magical Trunk (76399) for ages 8+ is bursting with a magical mix of customizable places and people from the Harry Potter movies.
Put Hogwarts fun into kids’ hands
Just like the iconic Hogwarts students’ trunks, kids can add different Hogwarts House colours and fun stickers to make this LEGO brick version their own. Among the contents is a large selection of minifigure parts – including a range of hair and diverse skin tones – so kids can build up to 5 characters from the Harry Potter movies and design new Hogwarts students of their own. A wide assortment of customizable furniture and accessories from the movies give kids ideas and inspiration to bring their imaginative Hogwarts adventures to life. There are also 3 classic movie stories to play out: the Sorting Ceremony; a Great Hall feast; and the Common Room. When the action’s over, everything packs away neatly in the trunk so kids can take the Hogwarts magic wherever they go.
- Unlock the creative magic! – LEGO® Harry Potter™ Hogwarts™ Magical Trunk (76399) is packed with buildable features and minifigures from the Harry Potter movies for kids to create and customize
- A trunk full of fun – The trunk contains furniture that magically reconfigures, accessories from the movies and an assortment of minifigure parts that kids can combine to create different characters
- Authentic accessories – The Sorting Hat, potions, a cauldron, a potion-making book, the Marauder’s Map, Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans™, The Quibbler, goblets, cookies, a chessboard and an owl
- Customize and personalize – Kids can build up to 5 minifigures, create completely new characters and adapt and combine different building elements to bring their Hogwarts™ adventures to life
- Recreate classic scenes – There are also 3 memorable moments from the movies to build and roleplay: the Sorting Ceremony; a Great Hall feast; and the Common Room
- Great gift for kids aged 8 and up – This endlessly versatile playset is an ideal gift for Harry Potter™ fans looking for a personal and creative connection to the Wizarding World
- Easy to carry and store – This portable, lockable toy trunk measures over 2.5 in. (6 cm) high, 6.5 in. (17 cm) wide and 2.5 in. (7 cm) deep
So what do you think? This set brings a lot of colours – and is highly customisable. But it is also different. Is this a must have set for your collection?
I’m looking forward to see what else 2022 brings on the LEGO Harry Potter front.
Till then, Build the Magic!